Monday, November 28, 2005

Ahhh... much needed server maintenance

Well the next few weeks are looking very busy, so not surprisingly I ran low on partition space on the primary cvs server. I'd say that it seems like these things always happen when I'm busy, but in reality I've been watching the partitions slowly fill up over the past few months.

Up until now I haven't had the downtime to poke around with the server, but after taking an extended weekend for the holidays I decided to take the time tonight (rather this morning) to move the partitions around. Luckily I was using less than half of the array, so not much work was necessary, though I moved a lot of data around trying to keep the frequently used partitions near the start of the disks.

All in all, things went smoothly, taking only approximately four hours. I imagine I'll need to work out a few ownership issues with cvs after the data move, but hopefully nothing else was mangled in the move.

It's nice to have this out of the way after spending the past few months trying to get work done and hoping there was enough space.

Blah... it's 4:30 am, time for bed...

-John

No comments: